Graduate Assistantship with ICEE and PCS
Seeking Graduate Assistant
Peace & Conflict Studies Department
Institute for Community and Economic Engagement
Dr. Emily Janke, associate professor of peace and conflict studies, and director of the Institute for Community and Economic Engagement is seeking a graduate assistant to help conduct research activities.
Title: Graduate Assistant
Areas of Research:
- Conflict, Communication, and Community-University Engagement
- Institutionalization of Community Engagement in Higher Education
- Community-University Partnerships
Responsibilities of GA:
– Assist with collecting, organizing, and synthesizing literature reviews (year one)
– Assist with conducting qualitative research, including thematic analysis of literature, as well as interviews and focus groups (year one)
– Assist with developing presentations, manuscripts, and other forms of dissemination, as well as with grant proposals (year two & three)
– Assist with development of activities, programs, curriculum, and partnerships that support community-university engagement (year two and three)
- Currently enrolled graduate student in a degree program at UNCG
- A sense of curiosity, creativity, and commitment as it relates to supporting more just and vibrant communities through research and action
- Interest in developing research skills, particularly conducting literature reviews and qualitative research (research experience preferred, but not required)
- Experience with service-learning, community-university partnerships, and/or other forms of university-community engagement (either as a student or facilitator/educator)
- Ability to work independently while prioritizing tasks and maintaining deadlines
- Computer and project management skills that including managing large amounts of files and a Google or WordPress website
- Recommendations from appropriate faculty and/or previous employers (this will be requested following an interview)
Stipend & Schedule for GA: 20/hrs week Flexible time, start Fall 2018.
$16,000 over 9 months. Office space will be provided. Please note, this position includes an in-state tuition waiver for students in Health and Human Sciences for AY2018-2019. (If you are out-of-state or from a non-HHS department, I will do my best to work with your department to get you a tuition waiver, but no guarantees.) The position may be renewed annually for up to three years!
To apply, email resume, writing sample, and a cover letter expressing how this position aligns with your interests and experience to Emily Janke firstname.lastname@example.org no later than April 10th, 2018 at 5:00pm. Applications will be reviewed when they are received. Interviews will be conducted until the position is filled.