Eighteen dedicated college students will be honored as Community Impact Student Award winners on Saturday, November 8th, during our annual student conference. These service leaders will join more than 200 students honored since the award was first presented in 2006.
The Community Impact Student Award recognizes one outstanding student from each member campus for leadership and innovative approaches to community engagement. Students are nominated by a faculty or staff member from their school.
Among this year’s winners are Holly Riley, a Music Education major who started an afterschool music program at a local Boys and Girls Club; Stefanie Vorleiter, an International Business major whose Campus Civitan Club raised thousands of dollars for local nonprofits; and Antonio Monroe, a Criminal Justice major who organized a community forum on police-community relations.
All of the 2014 award winners are seniors, except for Warren Wilson College honoree Jasmine Woo, a junior. Eleven of the 18 winners are North Carolina natives.
All but three winners will attend North Carolina Campus Compact’s annual student conference on November 8 at NC State University in Raleigh. Now in its 21st year, the 2014 CSNAP Conference (Citizenship, Service, Networking, and Partnerships) will convene 180 student leaders from 25 campuses in 5 states, offering participants a slate of workshops focused on leadership best practices and community issues.
Several award winners will also share their passion and experience as workshop presenters during the event.
2014 Community Impact Student Award winners:
- Melissa Lee (Appalachian State University)
- Jonathan Huynh (Central Piedmont Community College)
- Amee Tan (Duke University )
- Zachary Baker (East Carolina University)
- Meredith Berk (Elon University)
- Antonio Monroe (Fayetteville State University)
- Stefanie Vorleiter (High Point University)
- Bianca Todd (North Carolina Central University)
- Alzebeth Roman (North Carolina State University)
- Stephanie Watkins- Cruz (The University of North Carolina at Asheville)
- J. Jacob Hinton (The University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill)
- Jameka Parker (The University of North Carolina at Charlotte)
- Holly Riley (The University of North Carolina at Greensboro)
- Ja’Kayla Hill (The University of North Carolina at Pembroke)
- Vanessa Kopp (The University of North Carolina at Wilmington)
- Kristen McCain (Wake Forest University)
- Jasmine Woo (Warren Wilson College)
- Matthew Chevalier (Western Carolina University)
Reposted from North Carolina Campus Compact