Civic Engagement and Professional Skills
- Baker, K., Spiezio, K.E., & Boland, K. (2004) Student engagement: Transference of attitudes and skills to the workplace, profession, and community. The Industrial-Organizational Psychologist 42(2), 101-107.
- Baker, K., Spiezio, K.E., & Boland, K. (2010). Raising the bar: Employers’ views on college learning in the wake of the economic downturn. Washington, DC: Hart Research Associates.
- Center for Engaged Democracy Core Competencies Committee. Core Competencies in Civic Engagement (Working Paper). Center for Engaged Democracy Policy Papers Series.
- Connecticut Campus Compact. (2012). Civic learning developmental pathway: Envisioning a framework for the engaged citizen. Fairfield, CT: Connecticut Campus Compact.
- Cotter, P. (2015) Hiring and development, down to a T: The T-shaped worker’s skills and knowledge are both deep and broad. Chief Learning Officer.
- Eagan, K., Lozano, J. B., Hurtado, S., & Case, M. H. (2013). The American freshman: National Norms Fall 2013. Los Angeles: Higher Education Research Institute, UCLA.
- NACE Staff. (2018). Employers Want to See These Attributes on Students’ Resumes. National Association of Colleges and Employers.
- Hart Research Associates (2015). Falling Short? College Learning and Career Success. Washington, DC: Hart Research Associates.
- McKinsey & Company, Chegg, Inc. (2013). Voice of the Graduate. McKinsey & Company Gallup (2013). State of the Global Workplace.
- Ouimet, J. A., & Pike, G. R. (2008) Rising to the challenge: Developing a survey of workplace skills, civic engagement, and global awareness. New Directions for Institutional Research, 2008(1), 71-82.
- Thomas, N., Brower, M., Connors, I. C., Gismondi, A., & Upchurch, K. (2018). Election imperatives: Ten recommendations to increas college student voting to improve political learning and engagement in democracy. Jonathan M. Tisch College of Civic Life.
These references were compiled through Higher Education Service-Learning Listserv conversations. Special thanks to Nuala Boyle and Laura Hill Rao.